Franklin County IDA/LDC Develops a New Entrepreneurial Business Center and Co-working Space Called The Carry
Franklin County IDA/LDC is a unifying economic development organization that fosters a shop-local, community-first culture. We help entrepreneurs start businesses and help established businesses grow. We take a proactive approach to attract visitors with the hope they’ll become locals.
WHAT WE’RE DOING RIGHT NOW:
Creation and development of The Carry, an entrepreneurial business center and co-working space located in Downtown Saranac Lake.
What is The Carry:
Not many things are harder than starting your own business. We know plenty of people with great business ideas in Franklin County. But there are a lot fewer places to get answers to the inevitable questions and challenges you’ll face (let alone find affordable office space.) That’s where the Carry comes in. It’s a fun and affordable co-working space in Downtown Saranac Lake.
Carry members have 24/7 access to a fully equipped office where businesses can find the space to grow. We’re big believers in the power of the hive mind, and when you join The Carry, you’ll join a community of entrepreneurs ready to take that next step alongside you.
We also know that merely having a great idea is just the first step on the road to success. Entrepreneurs need mentors. In a rural area like the Adirondacks, you know you have to look harder for funding, for customers, for reliable suppliers. But through workshops covering business concepts and one-on-one advice, we’ll help you find the tools you need to thrive.
- Point Positive (angel investor)
- Saranac Lake Area Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business Development Center at SUNY Canton
- North Country Innovation Hotspot Program at the Shipley Center (Clarkson University)
What else we have cooking right now:
- $20,000 New York Main Street Technical Assistance grant project in Downtown Malone to develop design guidelines and complete facade renderings.
- $100,000 Adirondack Park Community Smart Growth grant to renovate buildings on Park Street and Main Street in Tupper Lake.
- $400,000 in investment through loans and incentives to businesses and revitalization projects in downtowns across the county since 2017.
- $500,000 New York Main Street grant program to renovate commercial buildings in Downtown Saranac Lake and Park Street in Tupper Lake — 13 projects in total!
- $600,000 Energize Downtown Program funded through the Saranac Lake Downtown Revitalization Initiative (DRI) to support building renovations and to provide commercial rent assistance in Downtown Saranac Lake.
- Tourism Promotion Agency to improve Franklin County’s quality of life by strengthening the economic impacts of the tourism industry by promoting the communities of Malone, Saranac Lake, and Tupper Lake along with other communities in Franklin County.
- Member of Main Street America, the nationally recognized program focused exclusively on main street and downtown revitalization.
- Member of New York State Tourism Industry Association (NYSTIA), the organization bringing together New York State tourism industry interests.
- Member of International Economic Development Council (IEDC), the largest national and global organization serving economic developers.
We would love to hear from you! Feel free to call or email, we are here to listen and help.
The Economic Development Team
Jeremy, Marcy, Russ, Maria, Phil, and Kelly